Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food Swapping

Sunday was the monthly Boston Food Swap. On a quiet street in Fort Point 15-20 amateur bakers, cooks, canners, jelly-ers and the like gather together to share their wares. Very Norman Rockwell-esque. Relaxed, friendly and wholesome. The little room was packed with card tables covered with jams, salsa, pickles, breads, cakes and cookies with creative ingredients.

In under an hour I sampled, made friends, and traded 5 jars of spicy pickled carrots and 2 jars of pickled beets for 2 mango chutney muffins, 4 homemade oreo cookies, 2 jars of preserves - pear vanilla bean and kiwi strawberry, 2 slices of ginger olive oil bread, 6 Dude Bars and 1 jar of giardiniera.  Not bad.

E took home a great haul too trading her thyme simple syrup for a similar range of treats. She got a big jar of corn salsa I was eyeing, lucky girl. Afterwards we ran into the 3 girls that organize the event heading next door for tequila snow cones. I like how this crown rolls.

On another "new things" related note, I've been stumbling through my practice of the Divine Hours trying to weave them into my life. Yesterday I had vespers (5-8pm) with a friend walking along the esplanade.

Because you are my help,
    I sing in the shadow of your wings. 
I cling to you; 
    your right hand upholds me.*

We practiced visualizing God's right hand holding everything...
my vocation, 
each one of my friends I visualized their face and mentally put them in God's hand,
anyone I don't get along with,
cares for the future,
my family,
the success in my job,
the work of life - bills, laundry and such,
anything that I care about went into God's hand.

His hands are big enough for it all. I won't lie. Yesterday I was in a funk, I won't even go into it, but I was. It happened in the blink of an eye. One second I trust God with all these things and the next I take the reigns and get completely anxious. It helped to remember that just as easily I can give the reigns back to Him and enter into His peace.

blessings,
t

*Psalm 63:7-8 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment