Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Harvest

For the past couple of days it has felt like fall. I may have had something to do with it when I said how much I was looking forward to wearing my sweaters and boots in the middle of the heat wave. Bam! Chilly mornings and cool nights.

It's refreshing after the blistering heat we had in July. Note: I do not lament the summer heat. I love every season in New England and the heat has been bearable and lovely summer glory. Being from Oklahoma I know that real heat is the 100F+ degrees for weeks on end is more brutal than 80F & 90F even with the high humidity.

This brush with fall weather reminds me that I need to plant sweet potatoes and harvest my compost.

I really love porch time. The last week of July S. slumber partied with me and the next morning we had some porch time together. I love porch time with good friends. We did a little compost trial-harvest  to plant my long overdue cilantro seeds. Why it took me all summer one will never know, but now I'll have cilantro all autumn long.

Watching things grow is beautiful. There is always a little fear at first that nothing will sprout and then 2 weeks later you have food. Plus a new living thing to care for. A pastor once said that the seeds had to die and begin decomposing before they would grow. I like that. When we start something new there is often the fear that it won't bring life. Just wait. Often something else may have to die for the new life to begin. An interesting thought I'm going to sit with over coffee on my porch.

August has been a whirlwind, maybe someday I'll write about it. I've been hanging on tight to Galatians 5 (July 9, I Never). While I thought I needed more kindness and gentleness in my life, the Spirit is taking me on an epic journey of patience.

The 31 things for July are far from complete: I have come no where near going to bed before midnight regularly, I talked to no old friends from High School, no letters were written, there was no time for 7 straight days of yoga, I haven't pierced my nose yet and my bedroom redecoration has been minimal. However, I did have a really great July pushing myself to think in new ways about how I use my time. And I'll just keep doing the things I set out to do so it will always be July in my mind.

"There the world began over again every day in an ever new light. O light! This is the cry of all the characters of ancient drama brought face to face with their fate. This last resort was ours, too, and I knew it now. In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer."  - - Albert Camus from Return To Tipasa

with love & patience.
t

No comments:

Post a Comment